Lucas Cranach the Elder’s wife was born in the two-storey Baroque building with mansard roof and round arch portal. Later the Renaissance painter bequeathed the building to his son-in-law, evidenced by a stone double family coat of arms (with winged snake for the Cranachs and a bag for the Dasch family) on the house.
Today’s building was given the famous Reformation painter’s name in 1872 on the occasion of Cranach’s 400th birthday. The pump station for the water feature dated 1895 is in the house’s basement.
Lucas Cranach House with pump station
Hauptmarkt 17, 99867 Gotha